Happy Homemaker | Glue Guns and Sewing Machines Oh My!

21 Oct

Pinterest has renewed my crafty side, as evidenced by Isabelle’s owl costume and my wine cork wreath.  I also completed Lelia’s “Bad Big Wolf” costume!

And while I was making her costume, one of the girls asked who was going to be Little Red Riding Hood.  I figured a cape couldn’t be too hard to make, so I said I would be.  Plus that’s the kind of costume that I can bring out every year.  And right after I committed to the creation of a cape, my Mother In Law informed me that she needed a costume for something at the Renaissance Institute, and I thought the cape would be an easy fix for that as well.

Then my mom sent me an email from a company selling American Girl Doll dresses and matching outfits for girls.  Outfits that were right up my ally, but $50 -$60 for the girls and up to $20 for the dolls.  They were mostly basic tunic dresses and I thought I could probably handle sewing something like that too. So Lelia and I set out for JoAnn Fabric yesterday and I found a gazillion fabrics that I liked for lots of different projects, including the future construction of PJ pants for the girls and their dolls.  I pared it down and just bought extra of the fabric that I had selected as a liner for my cape to test my dress making abilities.

The thing about sewing is that much as I want to speed through it, I can’t.  You have to stop and think about every step, especially if you aren’t using a pattern.  Because when you sew, everything gets sewn inside out and then when you turn it right side out, you can see the creation.  This gets me all turned around, but I am happy to say, I only made one mistake in this category and I turned my mistake into a bag to carry when wearing the cape.

The cape was pretty simple, I drew a big semi-circle for the cape and sewed two rectangles together for the hood. I”m really happy with how it turned out.

Photo taken by Isabelle

The dress was a lot more involved and I had to be very methodical about it.  The inspiration came from this pillowcase dress.  I even bought muslin to line the dress!  I traced one of Lelia’s dresses for the basic shape and then played with the sleeve to get more of a cap and less of a flutter.  The whole thing took about 2 hours to make and again, I’m really pleased with how it turned out.  I have plans to make one for Isabelle and then make matching ones for their dolls to give them at Christmas.

Advertisements

4 Responses to “Happy Homemaker | Glue Guns and Sewing Machines Oh My!”

  1. Elizabeth October 21, 2011 at 8:38 am #

    Seriously need to get on with the sewing machine!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Christmas Dress aka I Made Puffy Sleeves! « Technology and TuTu's - November 11, 2011

    […] begun my renewed interest in sewing. I went from an A-line dress, to PJ’s and then got bold and purchased the Precious Dress pattern from the Scientific […]

  2. Christmas Dress aka I Made Puffy Sleeves! - November 14, 2011

    […] begun my renewed interest in sewing. I went from an A-line dress, to PJ’s and then got bold and purchased the Precious Dress pattern from the Scientific […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: