Archive | Pattern Test RSS feed for this section

Pattern Testing | Jackie Dress from Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop

9 Feb

 

Being on Facebook all day long pays off! The Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop needed pattern testers again and this dress looked too cute to pass up.  Plus it’s called the Jackie and the style is totally Jackie O influenced.

This time she needed a size 5 so I got to make a dress for Isabelle.  I had everything I needed on hand except for a zipper, and this style was on my bucket list of dresses to make for the girls.

When I bought the zipper, I thought I was going to use a solid kelly green cotton with this Dear Stella Wildflower fabric as the collar.

But then when it came time to sew I changed my mind for two reasons. 1) I want to use the kelly green fabric to make a simple A Line Jumper and have it monogrammed in pink.  2) I forgot I had this Dena Designs Taza fabric, which was perfect for a 60’s inspired dress.

I am so glad that I used it, because it came out better than I could have thought and it just might turn out to be their Easter Dresses.

The pattern was easy peasy!  3 pieces: collar, sleeve, and body of dress. Once you’ve cut out the back of the dress and the lining, then you cut up the additional line on the pattern where the piping will go and place it on your fabric allowing for a half inch seam allowance.  So basically, place it on the fold the same as you did before it was cut, but leave a 1 inch gap between the middle piece and now side piece of the pattern.

A note on collars

I once found them incredibly intimidating and would never have dreamt of tackling them. But since I’ve taken the full on sewing plunge, I sewed my first collar with the Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop’s Olivia Pea Coat which I used for the Chevron Coat. And let me tell you, there is nothing to be afraid of, nothing at all. It’s like making a round pocket or something simple like that.  And the addition of the piping on this collar, made it super uber cute, and again, easy!

The sleeves were pleated and not gathered, which while a little time consuming, because they are tiny, was a nice change from gathering the sleeve.

The same sleeve sewing technique was applied here as on the Isabella dress, and once again I don’t entirely get it. There must be an easier way to finish the sleeves. But alas, I couldn’t find one so I sewed one sleeve one way and the other another.  Prefering the second method, which was to only attach the lining to the dress in the pit area.

This time around for the zipper, as it was suggested in the Isabella pattern, I chose to sew the zipper using the invisible method instead of exposed, it just seemed easier to me and since my zipper wasn’t an exact match for my fabric, it worked out nicely to have it hidden.

All around the pattern was thorough, with lots of pictures, and I am pleased a punch with the finished product. I’ll definitely be making one for Lelia.  I’d love to be able to pull this look off myself, but I believe that at 35 I might be a tad old for the adorable peter pan collar.

I made Isabelle pose for these pictures this morning and she was less than pleased with my request.  So she made cranky faces the whole time.  As revenge, I’m posting them here for all the world to see.  Because I’m a kind and thoughtful mother, who might be a tad passive aggressive.

 

 

Advertisements